Questions for thought
- Which coordinate gives us information about east-west position - latitude or longitude?
- What is the name of the reference or zero line for latitude? for longitude?
- Is the Earth's equatorial plane perpendicular to its axis of rotation or does it mark the plane of the Earth's orbit around the Sun?
- Which geographic reference is defined by people rather than the position and motion of the Earth in space?
- Being able to determine one of the two coorindates - latitude or longitude, was not readily doable until about the time of American Independence. Which? And what key technology made it possible?
- Latitude and longitude are the two coordinates that determine a specific point on the Earth's surface. How does knowing the location of a point help us make maps?
- What are the uses and purposes of maps? What do they show?
- How is a point on Mars defined?
- Do different map projections use the same coordinate information for features on the Earth's surfaces or require a different set?
The meanings of words
- In this context, is the word coordinate a verb or a noun?