Questions for discussion
What are the differences between the different types of electromagnetic radiation?
Which has a longer wavelength - visible or infrared radiation?
Which contains more energy - visible or infrared radiation?
Which has a higher frequency - visible or infrared radiation?
About how fast do all EM waves move?
Do EM waves transmit energy or mass?
Take away concepts
- Electromagnetic waves occur in a continous spectrum based on their wavelength.
- EM waves of a particular range of wavelengths are give names such as infrared and visible.
- Unlike mechanical waves such as sound or earthquake waves, EM waves can travel through empty space.
- EM waves are used for communication with satellites and for observing the Earth from space.
- Sunlight is made up of EM waves.
© 2010 Earthguide at Scripps Institution of Oceanography.
All rights reserved.