Most common minerals in igneous rocks
* This diagram may be better viewed in full-screen mode.
Observe & Discuss:
Station - Identify the following igneous minerals
- Quartz - Assortment of colors, scratches glass and feldspar
- K feldspar - Pink, white and blue with perthite
- Plagioclase - Multiple shades of white to gray, striations
- Mica - Biotite and muscovite, flaky
- Amphibole and pyroxene - Dark with distinct cleavage
- Olivine - Green and granular
Are these minerals commonly found in sedimentary rocks?
What is a crystal?
How many crystals are in each sample?
- Single crystal - One
- Diorite - Many
- Obsidian - None
- Basalt - Many more than in the diorite